The most essential people at the championship!
Don't want to fly the competition but still want to be part of the action? Please consider volunteering as a Marshal - we welcome your help!
Marshals are undoubtedly the most essential members of the entire event, and all of the pilots are universally grateful to the efforts they put in. We quite literally couldn't do it without them. This year, the Green Dragons local team will be managing and marshalling all aspects related to the site, and camping. We, as the championship organisers, need marshals specifically to help run the competition itself.
Marshalling is a great way to meet the competition community, and also to learn about the competition tasks in preparation for competing in the future. It’s a very rewarding experience, and it carries the additional bonus of free meals and camping at the event too.
Typical vital roles that marshals play are:
- monitoring and regulating the takeoff deck - ensuring that pilots take off in a safe and ordered manner;
- 'spotting' on precision tasks - green flagging pilots for entry, and providing vital eyes to mark and record exactly where 'first touch' was on a spot landing, or operating the stopwatch for timed aspects of tasks;
- overseeing pilot fuel weighing in and out for economy tasks, and the quarantine processes associated with that;
- scrutineering paramotor aircraft for airworthiness and competition rule conformity;
- helping collect land-out pilots if necessary (we'll cover any fuel costs of course);
Don’t worry if you have no previous experience – our expert Chief Marshal Andy Phillips (ex-British team pilot, national and international competition director) will give you all the help you need.
Alternatively, are you a spreadsheet guru? We could certainly use your help in the scoring cabin instead of on the airfield!
If you'd like to register as a marshal, please use the same registration form as the pilots and select 'other > marshal' in the 'pilot or marshal' field. That way we have all your contact details, and Andy will be in touch.
Thanks in advance, from all of the organisation team and the pilots!